Yet again, the Jazz only played 3 strong quarters, finishing the 2nd, 3rd & 4th quarters with a +5 margin. Unfortunately, they fell behind by 15 after the 1st, and ended up losing by 10.
Why the loss? Let’s see.
- Major free throw discrepancy? Check, the Lakers shot 27 more free throws.
- Bad team defense? Check, the Lakers had 3 guys with 20+ points, one more with 19 and one with 12. Oh, and the Lakers shot 57% from the field.
- Bad perimeter defense? Check, the Lakers were 7-11 from long range.
- Comparison… the Jazz were 7-18 from long range, and shot 81.2% from the line to the Lakers 81.4%. But difference from points at the line? 23. Ouch.
- Bad shooting? Check, the Jazz were a sad 44.6% from the field. Oh, and this… the Lakers took 68 shots. The Jazz took 101.
- Flop? Check, he played 11 minutes. On the other hand, CJ played 14 seconds.
- Stupidity? Check… the Lakers had 9 blocks to the 1 for the Jazz, 5 by Pau Gasol himself.
- And to note… the Jazz had more boards (offensively & total), more steals & more assists. They also had 10 more fouls. Do I blame the officiating? Yes, at least a little.